Sunday, May 10, 2009

Once in a while....

Every other moon or so I muster up the courage and write on this thingy, our family blog. It's usually about the Jazz, but since they are giving me nothing to write about, thanks to the no good, lousy Lakers, I must write about something else.

So, I will write about me. For the past week I've been home alone. Tiffany thought it would be good if we took a break for awhile and tried living with other people. And I think this time away from each other has worked. She took the kids and moved down to Utah to live with my sister. I've slept in my bed alone. The timing of this was perfect since Tiffany went down to Utah the day after my sister had her baby. Imagine the timing. But this time apart has really taught me several things, most of which is how much I miss my wife and kids.


Are you confused yet? Did you think that Tiffany has spent the last week in Utah for any other reason beyond helping my sister out while she recovers from giving birth? Well, if you thought that it's just your imagination. We're doing great. I've had the chance to read a lot of books and really do whatever I want. Especially eating out more than I should. :) Sorry Tiffy.

If you've read any of my previous posts you probably recall that I mostly waste your time with words that just go in a circle. Words that really don't come to any point. You just read and then think to yourself - Why did I just read that? What was his point?

Well, today is your lucky day. My whole point of posting is to bring this video below to your attention. What's ironic is that being in the news I am trained to give you the most important information up front - right at the beginning. Completely opposite of the way I write on these blogs. I enjoy this way a lot more.

Anyway, I've digressed way too much.

The video below is the story I did on Saturday May 9, 2009. I got a call in our newsroom from a surgeon at St. Luke's Children's Hospital in Boise. The conversation was simply. He told me he had a kid about to go into surgery who has a pencil that went through the back of his mouth and almost out the back of his head. He then asked me how long it would take me to get to the hospital so I could cover it. Needless to say we were there pretty quick.

I must warn you some of the pictures are a little graphic, or rather shocking, but they weren't the worst ones we had.

I hope you enjoy what I think is one of the best stories I've ever done.

And, as always, go Jazz!

3 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Nice job on reporting the story. I can't believe how calm the kid looks in the pictures, sitting there with a pencil sticking out of his mouth.

Mark & Bek said...

wow. no pencils or pens for russ. good job on the story scoota

aaron said...

once i stuck a pencil in my leg. i thought it was gonna give me lead poisoning, then i found out pencils have graphite in them. then i started to realize how many things i thought were true were lies.

happy birthday last week ago today scott!