Saturday, October 4, 2008

What went wrong???

Okay, so it is the Saturday morning of Conference and what do I want to do? Easy, wake up and cook some banana bread so Scott can have something good when he wakes up and something to snack on throughout the morning session. So like the good little wife I am I turned the oven on and stuck the chair next to the counter so Katie could help me cook. Meanwhile Paul is sitting in the high chair nibbling on some cheerios. Alright, so there's the scene. As I am grabbing all of the ingredients I started thinking...all of these people lately have been telling me that you can be healthier when you cook if you just use applesauce instead of sugar. You can't tell the difference...so I'm told. I thought why not, lets test Scott's taste buds. So Katie and I put it all together and in the oven it goes. Well 45 minutes later I go and wake up Scott so I can go running before Conference starts. We talk for a minute and he says that it smells delicious. That was the only compliment I got about the banana bread. Well the timer goes off at 50 minutes and I open the oven. Inside much to my surprise/dread whatever you want to call it I see...


Well there you have it. So much for trying to be healthy! I say eat drink and be merry for twenty minutes later I run!!! But if anyone knows the error of my ways feel free to laugh and then correct me. Oh by the way just to let you know, I really don't suck at cooking all of the time. Usually it turns out quite well...it's just when I adventure into the unknown. FOLLOW THE RECIPE, it never goes wrong when I pay attention to the directions.

7 comments:

Lanae said...

Holy cow. Sorry that didn't turn out. Maybe the applesauce made it too heavy? I really don't know. That's a good one to research though. I finished the quilt top. I'll have to show you how great your design turned out. Enjoy conference tomorrow!

kachers said...

HA! I definately want to know what went wrong too - i hear the same thing, and I'd love to coook healthier, too! Ok let me tell what just happened: read your post, laughed, wished i had bananas to make some banana bread for Ryan when he gets up, hit comment on this post, grabbed Riles beacuse he was almost at the internet cords, grabbed the back of his diaper to see if I should change it, found poo on my fingers and thumb, on my shirt, decided i should change it before writing this comment. oh i love it! haha - I miss talking to you! Wasn't conference great yesterday? We watched the first session before we went to bed, and this monring we'll watch yesterday's pm session. RS broadcast was awesome, too. Gosh I miss you - let's skype soon?! OK - and I know that my Riley post came out of no where - I don't know how to fix this, but I started it and saved it so I could finish it later - and it posted the date that I started it... does anything I'm saying make sense? LOVE YOU!

Jody said...

wow I can' believe katie's two! how fun! i wish we could've been there for her bday party! one day we are gonna live close to each other right?!

Anonymous said...

Applesauce doesn't work for everything! Oh well, did it taste good:) You still make awesome cookies! I wish you guys could come up for a visit!!

:) Love, Tiff

Bekah said...

I'm pretty sure I'd eat it. It doesn't look that bad to me, and every type of bread I have ever tried to make pretty much looks like that! ;)

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

No help here. Kelly and I were just discussing how we don't bake well earlier tonight. What I was most impressed with is that you were up early cooking for your husband and that you got a run in before Conference. GO SUPERMOM! I did find some recipies on the back of the gerber baby food the other day, maybe try that.

Julian said...

I've used applesauce as a substitute in baking also, and it works, especially in brownies. However, I replace the oil with applesauce. I found a website that said applesauce is too runny to replace sugar. Too bad--I would love to cut down on my sugar intake but still eat my sweets. Good to see you guys the other day! --Alicia